February 11, 2008

Ahhhhh....a relaxing weekend

I did nothing this past weekend. Absolutely nothing. For the first time in 10 years or so, I slept, watched tv, slept, surfed the internet, and slept some more. Of course I am fighting a head cold, so sleeping is really appealing. I never do nothing. It seems like I always have something to do.

BEWARE: Rant ahead

I have decided NOT to renew my Animation Magazine subscription. I have been an avid subscriber for more than 15 years. I'm just not happy with the articles anymore. It could also be the content of shows these days. They basically SUCK. Animation Mag articles swarm around these "junker shows" and basically, I'm not interested in them. I'm really getting sick of the same ol' stuff. The same look. The same formula. The same trends. I feel like no one is setting trends anymore. Well, ok....maybe one show breaks through all the bureaucracy and becomes a surprise hit. Then everyone has to jump on the bandwagon.

These days, producers are following successful trends and scrambling to compete with the new latest and greatest. They ride the coat tails of a summer "surprise" hit. Or they rehash stuff over and over. ("land before time" part 32 comes to mind) Most shows are second rate and mediocre. Do audiences really want pointless folley? 90% action and 10% storyline? I don't think so. (and don't get me started on annoying idiot sidekicks...thats an entire rant that deserves its own paragraph....but we wont go there today.)

Also, this politically correct crap is getting on my nerves. Do we really have to have equal treatment of sexes, colors, ethnicity, cultures, etc? I feel like that issue alone quells creativity when you have to stick to makeshift rules of the television PC police. As John Stossil would say....

Gimmie a break.

Another thing, when Anim Mag made their website a pay subscription, I felt like that was a terrible idea...even though I was a subscriber and was able to read the articles. I would read something that I wanted to share with a co-worker, but I couldn't because they weren't paying subscribers. How lame is that?

So, I made up my mind. I won't be one to give them my hard earned cash for pointless and crappy articles. They can keep their magazine. Ill visit www.awn.com and keep up on the info there.

-dev

No comments: